Sunday 12 January 2014

DIY macrame bracelet



The other day I broke one of my favourite beaded bracelets, so today I set about putting it back together again, I thought about re-stringing it but instead I decided to use the beads to create a macrame bracelet. Here’s how I did it………

I used.

400cm of Chinese knotting cord
A cross charm
4 Beads (wide enough for the cord)
Scissors
Tape


I started by cutting the Chinese knotting cord into four 100cm lengths. I then looped two of the lengths at either end of the charm by folding the cord in half and feeding the folded ends through the charm holes. I then fed the rest of the cord trough the loop and pulled tight. 



I anchored the strands down with a bit of tape to hold the cord in place. To create the knot I then took another strand of cord and centred it under the anchored cord. Next I folded the right piece of cord over the middle strands and under the left cord. I then pulled the left cord under the right and middle strands and fed it through the loop. I then pulled tightly and slide the knot up to the cross charm.






To create the rest of the knot I repeated this step but instead I folded the left piece of the cord over the middle strands and under the right cord. I then fed the right cord under the left and middle strands and fed it through the loop. Pulling tightly to create the macrame knot.



 I repeated the above steps until I was happy with the length of knots.  I then repeated the above steps again on the other side so both sides of the bracelet were knotted. To keep the knots from coming undone I threaded the outside strands through the back of 2 knots and cut of the excess leaving a millimetre of cord.


To make the sliding closure, so the bracelet is easy to take on and off, I shaped the bracelet into a circle and overlapped the middle strands, tying them in place with left over scraps of cord.



In the centre of the two knots, I used another piece of scrap cord to macrame the closure, again threading the outside cord through the backside of 2 knots to stop it from untying. I then removed the scrap cord.



Next I adjusted the bracelet to fit my wrist and cut away excess cord. Before tying of the ends of the cord I fed a bead through each end. And my macrame bracelet was done.


No comments:

Post a Comment